Tuesday, November 16, 2010

My Enemy, Stress

Stress stinks! I'm a month away from finishing my first semester of college and it is getting harder and harder to not stress out. I'm naturally a worrier and a control freak. I like everything to be in its own box and don't like it when I can't get my head around things; i.e. my history paper on William, Duke of Normandy's conquest of England. These past two days, it has been so bad that I am clenching my jaw in my sleep to the point that chewing is torture! It was pretty pathetic when I was trying to eat cereal this morning.

For the simple reason of self-preservation, I have been really trying to relax, keeping calm, taking breaks, and noticing when I'm clenching. But there is another, bigger reason that I need to keep reminding myself not to stress. When I stress, I am not trusting my Savior to take care of everything. I don't know how many times I've told myself that He can take care of it better than I can, but still, I want to do it all myself like an obstinate toddler.

I think Christ was thinking of people like me when He said: "And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life...Therefore do not be anxious, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you." Matthew 6:27,31-33

God is fully aware that I'm stressed about getting all my classes in for the winter semester and frustrated cause my paper is refusing to flow together, and He is big enough to get me through it. I won't die, in spite of what I think. The Gospel is still certain, I am still saved, and Christ still loves me! No paper or exam will ever shake that.

Whether it is school or work or an overload of housework, don't stress. It will only wear you down. Breathe and trust! We'll all survive together!

No comments:

Post a Comment